Modpack Discussion & Mod Suggestions

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Nentify, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Nentify

Owner

We're going to be working on the modpack first and would like to hear what sort of things you've played with and would like to see in the pack. For now, this is just going to be a big thread for any modpack-related discussion.

The survey pointed out some general themes and some popular choices - This thread is to start getting some community discussions going on about mod choices and to give you the chance to "make your case" for a particular mod or modpack.

Requirements
    • Must be for Minecraft 1.12
    • Must be (reasonably) actively developed or open source
    Other than that, fire away! Post old classics or new mods that haven't seen much exposure, we're open to anything at this point and haven't chosen any particular themes or requirements.

If you've played a particular pack recently or like a theme of an older pack, feel free to share your thoughts about pack theme, difficulty, etc. as well!

I'll start it off with my suggestions. I came across this fairy lights mod and they just look amazing: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/fairy-lights

There's also a pretty cool cars mod, although I'll need to see how configurable it is. If it's configurable enough, it could be worked into the pack in a nice way and could be a cool method of transport: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/personal-cars

This thread is just for mods and modpack discussion. If you have plugin or server suggestions, make a new thread or mention them in Discord. We'll go over the server details and plugins in more depth once the modpack has been established.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, I'd love to see what you'd like in the pack!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Sonic

Sonic Forum Stalker

Botania

Updated for 1.12. Because Vazkii makes the best mods.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Slash

Slash Forum Legend

4. Slash

Slash Forum Legend

5. Dialga949

Dialga949 Tekkify Newbie

In a list in no specific order:

1. Tinkers Construct - Who doesn't know about TiC? Custom Tools, Weapons, and that sweet, sweet 3x3 Hammer (or even larger with upgrades).
    2. PlusTiC - As a addition to #1, PlusTiC gives more materials to use in TiC, and adds 2 new weapons, the Katana and Laser Gun. The Laser Gun uses RF to do damage, but also has to be repaired, and the Katana gains attack damage the longer you build a combo.
    3. Thermal Mods - If you have ever played modded Minecraft, you have probably encountered Thermal Expansion, Thermal Dynamics, etc. A major tech mod, that basically every pack has.
    4. OpenComputers - A mod that adds computers and robots, and even has internet access!
    5. Extra Utilities - Adds a bunch of random ideas, most useful of those being the Builders Wand.
    6. OpenBlocks Elevator - The OpenBlocks Elevator has split into its own mod, because it's such a useful feature.
    7. Mekanism - Another Tech mod, it was extremely buggy in the 1.10.2 age, but has stabilized on 1.12 and is pretty fun to use. There is some items and blocks that would have to be disabled such as the Digital Miner, but it's a pretty good mod overall.
    8. Chisel - If your building a city, your gonna need this.
    9. Chisels & Bits - Same as above, allows for great intricate building designs.
    10. Psi - Programmable Magic, what isn't there to love? It may not be the most practical mod, but it is really fun.
    11. Storage Drawers - Mass Storage? Want to show off your insane amount of precious cobblestone? Well, look no further than Storage Drawers.
    12. Refined Storage - Take AE2, make it different but also the same, there you go.
    13. Iron Chests - Iron Chests, what would we do without you before getting a Refined Storage/AE2 System? Oh yeah, tons of chests everywhere that look horrible.
    14. Immersive Engineering - A fun, semi-realistic tech mod.
    15. Immersive Railroading - You like trains? Your gonna have a ton of fun with this one then, as Immersive Railroading adds a ton of trains, and everything you could think of to go with them.
    16. Natura - Berry bushes, nether trees, and other small but nice additions to Minecraft.
    17. Pam's HarvestCraft - Lots and lots of new food, who doesn't like variety?
    18. Gravestone Mod - This one is a given, you don't want your stuff to despawn while walking back to get it, do you?
    19. Quark - A ton of nifty additions that should be in vanilla.
    20. Forestry Bees! Don't you wanna spend hours breeding bee types to get better and better bees?
    21. Roots - Another magic mod, and adds hecking cute deer.
    22. TorchMaster - Adds a torch that prevents hostile mob spawns in a large radius.
    23. Solar Flux Reborn - Who doesn't love solar power? It seems easy and cheap at first, and then 6 hours later when your making thousands of level one solars just to get one tier eight solar.
    24. Open Glider - Increased mobility, while also being somewhat cheap? Sign me up!
    25. Integrated Dynamics - A logistics mod for automation, with a ton of fun features (and visualizations).
    26. The Twilight Forest - That's right, Twilight Forest is updated to 1.12, and it's just as fun as it used to be, and just as big to explore.
    27. Tech Reborn - A new contender to other tech mods, it tries to go back to the era of IC2 non-experimental.
    28. Waystones - Adds Waystones and Warp Scrolls, allowing you to exchange XP to teleport to other waystones.
    29. Oops! - Gives you a short timer where you can insta-break a block you placed, making building much more easier. A video of it in action
    30. Botania - A staple of magic mods, has a ton of cool things you can do with it, but sadly, due to other mods being much easier, is usually not used, even if it is included in a modpack.
    Possibly add RFTools and RFTools Dimensions, and only allow Donators to have 1 RFTools dimension.
    Add EnderIO, should it ever be updated.
    With Waystones, make it so that they can only be found/mined in the resource world, and not craftable. Would add to their rarity quite a bit, and make them much more valuable.
    Add Magical Psi, should it ever actually be done.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. xavier

xavier Tekkify Newbie

I would like to see extra utilities I have played the 1.12 version before and it was great

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rhah

Rhah Forum Veteran

I have Nent's favorite mod in mind already.

We ready for this?

Thaumcraft.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. Darknife

Darknife Forum Stalker

I agree with most of this list, I would just like to add my opinion

1. TechReborn and mekanism do not mix well at default configs, Mekanism is a bit OP when put with other Tech mods, if we were to have both mods, I think mek would need some method of gating its progression after Techreborn, disabling osmium gen, and making it a product made with end game machines from other mods has proven successful in other packs I have played
    Power wise tech reborn now works with RF :-D

2. Quark, whilst it has some very useful features, I think it could be quite invasive with some its vanilla changes, this mod may need some consideration with regards to configs

3. Botania and PSI are a very good way of adding some magic to a tech pack

4. RF tools would be a nice addition, but may need some power tweaks with its builder/quarry.

5. Some form of automated resource gathering either, RFtools builder with a quarry card or the IE excavator.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Dialga949

Dialga949 Tekkify Newbie

I agree on #1, Mekanism is stupidly OP in comparison to other mods I included, but with some tweaking like you said, it would make for a very nice end-game goal, with 5x ore processing and all the ultimate factories (6 slots at once? or was it 5). RF Tools is stupidly OP for quarrying, as even if its power usage for the builder quarry card is 10x, even 100x higher, you can just build 10, 100x the power generation (and with the Byzantine Empire, our manpower could easily get that much power generation within the first week). And with Botania and Psi, Magical Psi is integrating the two, should it ever actually be released and not just teased about twice a week on /r/feedthebeast.

10. Slash

Slash Forum Legend

so it would take an entire clan a week to build and power a single quarry. I see nothing wrong with that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. JolyGoodDay

JolyGoodDay Retired Admin

My 2 cents.
    1: Maybe don't make creative stuff craft-able like so many other mod packs,,, its dumb.
    2: Lock some stuff behind the admin shop progression wise, with a high price. This will encourage Voting and Economic participation.
    3: Do a questing book mod for the progression. Make the starting point easy, and as you work though it make things harder and harder.
    4: If you could set it up so there are 2 questing options to progress, Magic or Tech.
    5: Auto mine from some mods is just way to strong, I hate to admit it but having only tinkers might give more meaning to each item you craft. Not sure I like the idea of no auto resource tho...

6: If you do Draconic Evolution you got to gate it behind really hard recipes, that can not so easily be automated.
    7: I am a fan of IC2 (tech reborn is fine I guess), Chance Cubes, and Spice of Life
    8: Not a fan of RF Tools

mekanism balance was done right in ATME

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. BlantonFamily

BlantonFamily Tekkify Newbie

Okay so I'm putting this up front that while I don't believe your doing it now, but please don't turn into the guy who was ranting about balance in the last tekkify modpack that got both annoying and tedious to deal with after a while. I believe that Draconic Evolution would be a great edition if we are going for the kinda of style like Tekkify 4 I believe it was (the one before reborn). If we are going down that path extra utilities 2 would be a good edition as well as rftools. I don't know if chisel and bits has been updated but if it has that could be fun. If I think of anything else big I'll add it.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JolyGoodDay

JolyGoodDay Retired Admin

A balanced pack would actually be boring in my opinion, however a unbalanced pack would be just as so. I just would prefer it takes everyone a bit of effort to reach end game, and not have 520k iron ingots 1 month in...

The 1.5 era was my favorite, but I am pretty biased.

Just never found RFTools to add much that other mods do not do better. Edit: Has wireless redstone which is kinda hard to find now days so there is that.

#13 JolyGoodDay, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  14. Cerulean

Cerulean Tekkify Newbie

balance is always a thing.
    if a mod adds a solar panel that makes 60rf, what use are ALL the te dynamos that make 40rf and ther upgrades.
    same if a mod adds a grinder with x4 yield and uses only 1/6th of that for its recipes. you even up with joly's 520k ingots in a month.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Dialga949

Dialga949 Tekkify Newbie

Some other less major mods:
    • Plants - Adds 150+ plants, and a way to make potions from plants.
    • Animania - Overhauls the vanilla passive mobs, giving new breeds, behaviors, and more realism (such as pigs needing mud, and all animals needing food+water).
    • Industrial Foregoing - It's basically MFR for 1.12, but with increased power draw and other configuration, could be pretty fun to use.
    • Blockcraftery - Seems to be a carpenters blocks-type mod, by elucent.
    • Astral Sorcery - Haven't looked at this one much, but it seems to be a pretty well-made magic mod, if a little OP at the end-game.
    • Davincis Vessels - Build-able airships, had a ton of fun on Tekkify 4 with this one.
    • Actually Additions - Adds some lower-end but easier to obtain tech, and some cool worldgen such as underground forests or crystals (no, not reika crystals :-p).
    ninja edit: not [LINK]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jazz007

Jazz007 Forum Addict

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MummyNurse

MummyNurse Tekkify Newbie

We need the perfect balance between balanced and not so...balance-ception.

#17 MummyNurse, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  18. Ganondorky

Ganondorky Forum Veteran

I need an exact replica of 1.5.2. Best map ever. Including OPDs. That is all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Timeline15

Timeline15 Forum Stalker

Don't really have specific suggestions at this time, as the mods I was going to suggest don't seem to be on 1.12 yet :/. I'll echo the sentiment that Animania would be cool though.

Generally, I think the pack should try to have a few mods that aren't well used. The more recent Tekkifies didn't get as much traction as the older ones, and I think that's because the community is so saturated with similar tech packs these days. Very little set Tekkify apart from those near the end, other than the characteristic "it's harder to power stuff", which I'm not sure I'd call a positive.

20. bankerboy

bankerboy Tekkify Newbie

As long as I can make chicken sandwiches at Chick-Fil-Banks I don't care

21. king4q

king4q Tekkify Newbie

PSI is not for 10.12 the mod author has clearly stated that he will not be in the modding community anymore it is currently at beta and release for 1.8.9 last seen on forgecraft at alpha

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  22. Evan

You sure about that? https://psi.vazkii.us/downloads.php

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. JayLocke

JayLocke Forum Stalker

Evan, I'm pretty sure you are right. I think the latest release was this month.

24. king4q

king4q Tekkify Newbie

Okay well I was told in direwolf20’s last livestream by vazkii that PSI will not be developed anymore and to not use it as if it does get developed it would not be by him

#24 king4q, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  25. JayLocke

JayLocke Forum Stalker

Source?

Edit
    Instead of waiting on you, I did my own research. They stopped developing additional content. They will continue providing bug fixes. Next time be more specific and, that gives no reason why it should not be in the Modpack

#25 JayLocke, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017